Art Quote

"All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography."

Frederico Fellini



I collect aphorisms and quotes. When I read this one, I paused to reflect on the words and their meaning. I thought about how long art has been a part of my life. It is true that when you think about your art, you realize that it does tell the story of your life.



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It Began with Two

These are the earliest pieces of my art  and the first pieces  that I matted and framed.  They were created while I was still in high school (after the pastel project in art class).   At that time, I knew nothing about archival materials.  I just went to a craft store and bought  cheap mats and standard black metal frames.   These 2 pastels, both  8" x 10",   now hang in my Mother's house.  I have since framed them with nicer frames.

As best as I can recall, the scenes were probably copied from photos in magazines.  There were not titled.

I have no other pieces of my "early" art so these are real treasures.  I don't know why I didn't think more about saving what I created.   At some point, I did purchase a large portfolio and did keep sketches that I thought were "good"; but after 40 years and more moves than I can remember, it too has disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment