Art Quote

"All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography."

Frederico Fellini



I collect aphorisms and quotes. When I read this one, I paused to reflect on the words and their meaning. I thought about how long art has been a part of my life. It is true that when you think about your art, you realize that it does tell the story of your life.



Saturday, February 5, 2011

~More Hand-crafted Cards~

I enjoy sending handmade cards.  I paint them, use scrapbooking supplies to make them; I've made collage cards and cards using photographs or photos of my artwork. 

I began making handpainted cards when I started painting in watercolor.  My Mother has kept all of the ones I have given her.  My Dad has a collection of "golf-themed" cards that I've sent on Father's Day and birthdays.

This Tiffany-look card, I thought, was a great idea.  I didn't realize that pre-planning was neccessary to pull it off; I just dove in.  So, what I thought would take 2 hours turned into a challenging 1/2 day project.


The idea was inspired by a visit to the Tiffany Exhibition at the Morse Museum in Winter Park, Florida. I was pleased with the finished card and did try a second one.  It is not worthy of a blog entry.


For each of the past 3 years, I have made about 2 dozen Christmas cards to send to family and friends.  I collect the decorative papers and "add-ons" all year; then when the day comes that I get the urge, I spread out all the supplies and dive in, praying for inspiration.  Each one is different and there's never a plan.





The next  is pen and watercolor~an Easter card for my Mom.  The daffodils were from my garden.




This is one of the "collage" cards.  It is watercolor with rice paper used for texture.  The tentacles of this "Portuguese Man -o- War" are strands of metallic blue thread.  The summer that I created this card was the first time I had ever seen this deadly jellyfish on our beach.  They are so distinct with the red tipped "float".




This card is one of several "golf-themed" cards that I have made for my father.
The scene is one of the holes on "Amen Corner" at Augusta National~The Masters.




 Another Christmas card~one of my favorites; very loosely painted with a lot of spattering.



Sometimes, to compliment the card, I would also paint a small scene in the return address area on the envelope.

Handmade cards are a special gift for the recipient~at least, I'd like to think so.



2 comments:

  1. As I look at your cards, I am reminded of why they look so very different from the ones I have tried. There must be talent mixed in and that is the piece I lack. These are very beautiful and worthy of framing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzanne
    Mom (Dorothy Eiser) forwarded your art work to me. Your photos of the orchids remind me that spring is just around the corner, yahoo! Your greeting cards are lovely. I love the stately evergreen loaded with snow,the colors are so soothing and really give life to the tree.

    As always enjoy viewing your art as Mom passes it on. Melissa

    ReplyDelete