Art Quote

"All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography."

Frederico Fellini



I collect aphorisms and quotes. When I read this one, I paused to reflect on the words and their meaning. I thought about how long art has been a part of my life. It is true that when you think about your art, you realize that it does tell the story of your life.



Friday, September 10, 2010

WORDS of WISDOM~Quotes about Art

 I suspect that all artists collect quotes.
  Some quotes I don't quite understand but these speak "to me".



The artist's soul thrives on adventure.
(how many of us can identify with this!)

There are many things that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart.....pursue those.
                                                       ~attributed to Ben Crenshaw by some

 "A new canvas has the fixed gaze of an idiot."
                                                                  ~~ Vincent Van Gogh
( I was given this quote by the friend I met at Ghost Ranch.  I had lamented about how hard it was to put that first stroke of paint down.  She gave me this.  It was liberating!
Now each time I start a new painting, I think of this and smile.)

 “Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.”
                                                                          Frank Lloyd Wright

 The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars.
( and that's the truth!)

Listen to your painting. When it starts to go bad and your attempt to fix it can’t make it better, move on.
 Remember the first Law of Everything: AT LEAST DO NO HARM.

"All human error is impatience."
~ Franz Kafka
(yes, when in doubt, stop!)

It is not the form that dictates the color,
 but the color that brings out the form!
                                                            ~ Hans Hofmann (1880-1966)


 Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life.
                                                                         ~Vincent Van Gogh

"I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors.
 I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns."
~Winston Churchill
(I found this on the "Stitching my Story" blog)


The object isn't to make art, it's to be in that wonderful state which makes art inevitable.
                                                 ~ Robert Henri
(The Art Spirit is a book every artist should have in their library.)


 “Light is the life of the subject it touches.”
                                                    ~Joaquin Sorolla


"How to re-light the fire the very ashes of which are scattered?" 
                                                         ~Paul Gauguin
(Where has my Muse gone?)


 Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite:
'Fool!' said my Muse to me,
'look in thy heart and write.'
                                                                                      ~Philip Sidney
 (Apply this to painting as well!)


 "Arrange shapes in a beautiful way."
                                            ~Georgia O’keeffe


 “The faculty of creating is never given to us all be itself.
It always goes hand in had with the gift of observation.”
                                                                                                  ~ Igor Stravinsky

 When the artist is alive in any person... he becomes an inventive, searching, daring, self-expressing creature. He becomes interesting to other people.
 He disturbs, upsets, enlightens, and he opens ways for better understanding.
                                         ~Robert Henri                                

Allow your creativity to be seen~it will liberate you.
 When you paint with abandon you are manifesting your creativity.
 This creativity is your passion; this passion is your life.


 "There is no art without contemplation."
 ~Robert Henri


“Plan like a turtle, paint like a rabbit.”
                                             ~John Pike
(I don't think I'll get to the "rabbit" stage.)


“Paint in watercolor can be a joy….or frustrating as the devil.
Think more about what you can leave out than what to put in.”
                                                                     ~Pellew

 "Take nothing for granted as beautiful or ugly."
                                                                   ~Frank Lloyd Wright


“Look thy last on all things lovely, every hour.”
                                                               ~Walter De La Mare

No comments:

Post a Comment